Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Fall back or Struggle...

I’m probably one of the few people who have been gifted with more than one mother. My biological mother gave me up when I was born. I don’t remember my first foster home. I believe I was only there for a few months. Soon after, I was sent to another foster home with parents by the name of Brown until I was nine. When I turned ten, I was sent to live with the Brooks family. They adopted me which is the surname I now go by.

My mother, Marjorie Brooks, died many years ago at the age where mothers and daughters finally turn the page from adversaries to best friends. I’m often jealous of my close friends who still have these relationships and although their mothers consider me like a daughter, it’s not the same.

Part of that jealousy is the advice they now get from those mothers. When we are young, most of us fight with our mothers but when we become adults with grownup responsibilities, we often crave that motherly advice.

I don’t remember my mother giving me much advice when I was growing up. You see, my mother was a bit of a social butterfly and although she came home every night I was already in bed. And on the weekends the time we spent together was me helping her pick out an outfit then watching as she got ready. However, I do remember a particular time when she gave me advice. I didn’t give much credence to it then but I do now. That advice was to learn how to type.

My mother brought home an old electric typewriter from her office. This was before people started realizing the importance of having a computer in the home. I was taking a few business classes in school and one of the requirements was to take a typing class (I hope they still teach this skill in school). By this time, I was probably up to 35 or 40wpm.

As I was clicking away on the keys, my mother commented that I was already a good little typist. She then said, “Typing is a great skill to have. You can always use it to fall back on.”

Being able to type has been a blessing. While working on my novel and other writing projects, I’ve been able to secure secretarial and administrative positions because of that skill. Plus, since I am a writer, once I have an idea I don’t have to hen and peck. When my ideas start flowing, my fingers can keep up on the keys.

But what about using the skill of typing to fall back on? Can this skill or any skill that keeps food on the table and the bills paid and a roof over your head become more than just a backup plan?

There have been many times I have worked at companies where I could have made a conscious decision to stay. From secretarial, to admin, to coordinator and managerial positions my typing skills have helped me to grow.

I’ve met so many writers and other creative types who have just given up. Mainly, they took that skill that was only meant as a backup and turned it into a full-time job. That’s fine if what you are doing has become satisfying and you’re content. But what if it’s not and you’re stuck?

The word fall means to; drop, go down, plummet, collapse and descend. That’s why having a skill to fall back on is not always the best.

I wonder what my mother would say today. I’d like to think that she would feel that my skills of typing have served me well but it was time to use that typing skill to create a masterpiece.

If you have a desire to be a writer then make sure you do everything you can to become that writer. I’d rather struggle as a writer than to fall into a job. At least when you are struggling, you’re fighting or using some type of exertion to propel you to the next level. When you fall you just… fall

What have you fallen into?

No comments: