Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Help a Sistah Out!

It’s been a week and a day since I left my job. I now have everything in place to write. My Internet, laptop, printer and phone are working properly.

This is the day I’ve committed to start writing. I’ve done all of the organizing, ran all my errands, have searched the Internet for great deals and have watched enough television. No more excuses. It’s time to start on my projects.

But of course there is always something to take you off track. As I sat down to work on my script and inserted my Final Draft CD (6.0) into the CD driver, it wouldn’t work. This is a problem since I’m not ready to shell out another $200 for an upgraded version.

After getting frustrated and feeling stressed for a few minutes, I went online and did some shop comparisons. Instead of shelling out for the newest version 9.0, I would settle for 7 or 8. But those are still quite high.

But low and behold, I noticed a link for free 30-day trial download. I’m saved. So I’m back in business.

There are so many creative people in the world. Whether you want to be a singer, screenwriter or author, the price to attend special programs, to buy tools or software, attend classes, or even entering contests can become very pricey.

And unfortunately there are so many programs out there that know there are people like me who are trying to break into the biz and they constantly increase their prices with each change of the seasons. It’s a little sad but it’s the world we live in.

Is 6.0 better than 9.0? I don’t really see a difference. Maybe for the real hardcore screenwriters but I don’t need all those bells and whistles. I’m just a writer who wants to make sure my format is right, that there is enough white-space in my script and I spelled everything correctly but most of all that my script is good.

Unlike when using PowerPoint (my favorite software btw—good job Microsoft) where I can use transitions, slideshows and fancy fonts, my screenplay and even my fiction writing has to fit the industries standard; courier, 12pt, 1.5 inch margins, etc.

Today is tax day and there are all types of companies offering discounts and freebies. It would be ever so nice if Apple, Microsoft, and the telephone companies would jump on board.

After all, who couldn’t benefit from a discount? Come on guys; help a sistah out once in awhile.

PS: I think I'll head over to Boston Market. They got a good chicken dinner deal.

No comments: