Thursday, April 17, 2014

Bring in the Noise, Bring in the Funk

My neighbor who lives above me is home today. Why is that a big deal? Because as nice as my neighbor is, he has the walk of a Sasquatch and I’m worried I won’t be able to get much done today if he’s stumping around.

I’m sure most or all writers have an idea writing place or spot where they can go to write. Some need music, some have to use earphones. There may be some who can only write at a sea shore while others need to be in an isolated location in the mountains to get the juices flowing.

My preference would be sitting in the living room of my 3 bedroom loft, my laptop cradled on my lap where I lie cozily on my lounger. And every now and then when I look up, I can see the sun glistening off the ocean’s waves outside my huge bay window. One day…

I love writing when the world is still, and the sky is a tinge of indigo and there is calmness around me. I’ve been writing for over 10 years now and during those years, I’ve lived at 8 are 9 different apartments, worked about the same amount of jobs and I’ve been able to write in most of those places. I’ve written at the lowest and most painful times of my life.

During a Sex and the City episode, one of the characters, Charlotte, was trying acupuncture, a traditional Chinese procedure, that some believe can cure a number of symptoms. I’m a big believer. With the needle method, which is the one Charlotte’s character was doing, the doctor may leave you in a dark or soft lit room so that you can breathe deeply, relax and hopefully free your mind.

Charlotte’s doctor’s office was in the middle of Manhattan and if anyone knows anything about the city, it never sleeps. She had a hard time letting go and she kept complaining to the doctor about the noise. Eventually he told her that she had to learn how to relax no matter what was going on in and around her life.

The same thing is necessary when writing. You may not ever have the right place or the right time to write. Sometime you got’ a block out the noise and the funk and just do it.





No comments: