Saturday, August 18, 2007

So You Want to be Considered a Serious Writer

I personally believe everyone has a story to write, but not everyone decides to put pen to paper or in this day and age, fingers to the computer keyboard. When I decided I wanted to be not just a writer, but a successful one, I realized I had the creativity, but not the technical know how.

How to make my dream as a writer come into fruition was a big question and I also wondered how and where I'd begin? If you are just writing for the love of it, then there is no special way. However, if you want to have a career as a writer, and what I mean by that is to become published either in a magazine or write the next great novel, no matter what the genre; mystery, suspense, horror, science fiction/fantasy, romance or a particular style; short story, novella, it is important that you learn the most fundamental skills.

The library and the Internet are full of books and facts for any beginning writer to find information. But because there are so many sources, it can become a drag trying to sift through everything. For a creative person, it can also be overwhelming when all you want to do is get your story out to the reading public.

Below is a list of sources I use for information on agents, publishers, workshops and writer's networks. I hope this helps you.

Your Pen Pal,

SMB

To find out more information on fiction writing

To find out more information about literay agents

To find out more information on creative writing

To find out more about writing jobs

1 comment:

LaLa said...

How do you deal when your mind is overloaded? How do you sort through it all to even get it on paper or computer?....

LaLa