Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Screenwriters

A few years back, I sent out more than a few query letters hoping to see if I would get any nibbles on my first novel. After a few rejections, I received a positive letter from a reputable agent in NYC asking for a synopsis, then the first 3 chapters, and finally the whole book.

I was so happy about receiving a positive response, but went into panic mode when I realized that my book was not near completion. So I rushed the last 10 chapters for fear that they would move on to the next person and sent my manuscript out only to receive a letter a few short weeks later that stated my novel was not word count worthy.

This sent me into a head spin and I put the novel away for two years. I felt rejected, but most of all I feared that if I added to my novel, it would ruin the story. Although I continued to write short stories and scripts, I was afraid to touch my novel, but most of all afraid to send out any more queries or even consider entering any contests.

Now after two years I am again sending out my writings and working on lengthening my novel. A few months ago, I finished my first screenplay and decided to send it out to various contests. After a few months, I received a reject letter and realized that I had not even placed among the top 200. (ouch!)

As a freelance writer I've been published in several local magazines and papers in the Los Angeles area, but have yet had any of my creative writings published or accepted.

I say all this because I still refuse to give up. Unlike my 2 year shutdown, I got right back on the writing horse and started sending out stories once again.

As I think about what is different in me now, I have to give props to my increased faith and trust. Faith in believing in the unknown and trust that one day the seeds that I have sown will eventually come into fruition.

If you have a similar experience, be a Pen Pal and share your story.

Spiritually yours,

SMB

3 comments:

Martha Tucker said...

dear Sheilah,

You are very inspiring and conversational. I really was encouraged to keep writing, even when I am as tired as I am today. I attended an incredible Book Fair and made the most awesome contacts. So all I have to add to what you've said, "Keep going out and getting to know people. Soon they will be running up to you."

People ran up to me asking about the "Black Writer's New Image Tour."
Well, it starts in Los Angeles Friday, October 12, 13, 14. we will saturate the following cities: Friday(Los Angeles central, Hollywood, Pasadena, Los Angeles South,) SAturday (Compton, Carson, Cerritos, Long Beach.) Sunday a church to be named--Faithful Central, Inglewood, University Church of Culver City(same area).

We are taking 15 writers who support the better image for African Americans on a bus ride to create household names.

Are you one of the writers? Do you want to create your own image instead of gangsta rappers. If so, this is your opportunity.

Martha Tucker, author, editor, publisher.
"2007 Best New Author Award."
www.urbanclassicbooks.com
writelink3@yahoo.com

BHARISTON said...

My Beautiful Sister,
You are such a talented & powerful writer. Your writing is so captivating with a zest, having readers yearning for more. I'm truly enjoying you following your passion. Keep writing & providing your readers with great expectations.

Your #1 Reader,
Sister Bonnie

Sheilah M. Brooks said...

My sister,

You are so wonderful and one of my biggest fans!