Saturday, August 11, 2007

Is Collaborating With Other Writers Always A Good Idea

I've always been the independent type when it comes to working. I'm not sure if it's because I just like working alone or I have that "only child syndrome". I'm sure it's the latter.

When you go on interviews, most often the interviewer ask the question, "Are you a team player?" Of course my answer is always yes. After all, I do have to pay the bills. But in the back of my mind, I'm saying I'd rather work independently.

This brings me to writing. As a creative writer, I like writing by myself. I enjoy the solitude and the peace. Besides, I have so many other voices in my head, it often gets a little to crowded.

But awhile back I had the opportunity to collaborate with two other writers--Keta Brown and Camille Tucker on a short fiction film entitled SPIN. Having worked with their mother, Martha Tucker, author of "The Mayor's Wife Wore Sapphires" and co-editor with me for our church paper, New Dimension a publication of Faithful Central Bible Church http://www.faithfulcentral.com/ I was honored. Both had already established themselves as screenwriters in the Hollywood community.

I have to admit that it was challenging for a couple of reasons. One, not only do you have too respect each other's input, but two, you also have to respect each other's writing process.

My process was/is very different. I'm not a note taker. In most of my English courses in college I hardly ever took notes and I was never crazy about creating outlines, treatments and synopsis. I believe writing is more of a visual/mental process. However, I had to change this since I was not just dealing with my ideas, but two others.

Also we prayed before every meeting. Asking for peace, respect, harmony and God's will were very instrumental.

This collaboration became a great lesson for me. It helped me with patience which is a great asset when working on other people's projects or as a ghost writer. It also taught me that creating an outline or treatment can make you a better writer and help structure your idea into a great story.

Writing on my own individual projects is still my number one priority but working on SPIN has allowed me many open doors. So be open to work with others, but make sure they respect your input and your creativity.

For more about SPIN, please feel free to visit the website athttp://www.pneumaentertainment.com/

For more information on "The Mayor's Wife Wore Sapphires, please visit http://http://www.urbanclassicbooks.com/

Congratulations to Tamika Lamison, Director and Screenwriters, Camille Tucker, Keta Brown and Sheilah Brooks for SPIN-- winner's of The Global Art Film Festival Hollywood 2007 Awards http://http://www.gaffers.org/winners.html

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great news Sheila. I'm so proud! I can go, I went to school with her. Just finished my own feature length dealing with Hurricane Katrina. My family was caught up in that, so its been theraputic. Also, check out http://www.caveat-lector.org in the coming months for a poem they will be publishing titled "American Padlocks".

Sheilah M. Brooks said...

James, I had no idea your family went through that. You should try to get it entered into some of the film festivals. Proud of you. Stay in contact

KELLY LYNN JOHNSTON said...

As a designer, I think working independently allows me to reach my innermost creativity and reach a certain place that only isolation can take me to. However, after that process has run its course, I find my artwork is always elevated with involvement of other creative people who understand my intention....so I usually prefer to work independenly when concepting, but with a parnter or a group to help execute my exact intention. It's hard to put yourself out there and is sometimes competitive when you involve others, but I think it's such a different result (often improved) when you do. So yeah, work that out, Miss Sheilah! You can still maintain your voice but utilize the resource of others' knowledge and perspective. Ain't nuthin wrong with that. I'm a visual artist...but hey, writing is such a similar process and often comes from the same place. I think what is happening with Spin is so exciting and probably a great learning experience.

KELLY LYNN JOHNSTON said...

Dear my lady Sheilah,

I'm an idiot. :) Recalling too many different conversations in my sleep deprived brain. You are so wonderful for sharing.

KJ