Sunday, November 11, 2007

Knowing Your Writing Voice

Recently, I started writing for an online dating and relationship site. Always excited when I have the opportunity to share my writing with a larger audience, I quickly told my network of writing friends to check out the site.

Unfortunately, that excitement was short lived, when one of the writers stated that my article among other things did not have my voice and suggested that topic be my next article on my blog.

Not one to run from criticism, I asked my writer friends (those who would give me honest feedback) to give me their critiques. All said they loved the article including the publisher.

But still the comment "know your voice' stayed with me and I wondered what does it mean to have a voice in your writing.

I believe everyone has a style that they bring to their writing. I also believe if you are truly a gifted writer, your voice can change based on your audience, based on the genre or based on the person you're writing for.

I know that my writing has a style that is often lyrical, comical, always personal and always introspective. But when it comes to having a voice it can be dark, controversial, thought-provoking and moving because I can pull from many periods in my life.

My writing is not one-dimensional, but many. It is not based on one color, but is a multitude. It is not based on a simple backdrop, but many settings. Restricting yourself to one voice can limit you in your writing.

Just like when writing a screenplay or novel, you have many characters and each of those characters must have a different voice based on their gender, race, or even their cultural background. Would you want to write everyone with the same voice... no of course not. So why should your writing be any different.

Your thoughts...

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi, I wandered over from Wild Mind.

I like what you've written about the voice. I know mine changes with the mood, the story, and how I'm feeling at the moment. You're right when you said:

"I also believe if you are truly a gifted writer, your voice can change based on your audience, based on the genre or based on the person you're writing for."

EXACTLY! Writers are chameleons, we can put whatever voice we want, or need, in our writing.

I'm glad I found you!

Sheilah M. Brooks said...

Thanks Karen, I like being found and thanks for your comment. I agree...writers are chameleons!