Saturday, September 29, 2007

Something Old, Something New

I love going through stories that I've written years ago and seeing how my writing style has changed. I like to think back on where I was mentally when I wrote a certain story or poem. Often I'm amazed how some of the words are almost lyrical and I can't believe they actually came from me or sometimes I read them and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Although I'm a big believer in leaving things in the past, I don't agree when digging up old writings. I'm sure there are many of you who may have written a short story, a great essay, a poem or even a novel and thought it wasn't good enough so you tucked it away. Or maybe you did send it to a few writing contests, agents or even a publisher and it got rejected. But so what?

Just like in any other business, writing is ever-changing and people's taste are often fickle and vary with the times. A story that might not have been interesting a few years back, may be exciting today.

So don't be afraid to dust it off, make a few edits or add a few more characters. Start sending it out again. Hey you never know!

To find out more about writing contest, check out these great links!

http://www.writersdigest.com/contests/
http://www.pw.org/
http://newpages.com/npguides/litmags.htm
http://fictionwriting.about.com/

2 comments:

Novella said...

I have found such treasures in old material I have written; And rediscovered much about myself in the process. Life has been such a journey. I revel in the experiences I've had and how I've matured. I have found that I am able to add more to the old stuff now that I have lived a lot and now my writing is so much richer. Thank God for pen and paper. Whatever would I do without some of my dearest friends...

Sheilah M. Brooks said...

Hi Novella,

You are so right. Surprisingly I'm not the type of person to keep a journal no matter how many times I tell myself I'm going to create one. So writing helps me keep track of journey's (good or bad.)

PS: I love how you call them treasures. That's exactly how we should see everything we write!