Monday, August 10, 2015

Season of Repetition


As a writer there are often key moments or words that stick in my mind either from a conversation that I’ve overheard or a comment someone might have made to me. I always pay attention to what’s happening around me since I never know when inspiration may hit. Some of the best stories are often just a table away. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you may look at it, cell phone conversations are making this a lot easier.

Most recently I’ve been hearing the word, repetition a lot. It first struck me when I overheard a conversation in the break-room at my recent job and then again during my training period since the work that I do demands a lot of attention to detail which one can only learn after a few months of repetitiveness.

At first I scoffed. After all, who wants to live a life of repeats day in and day out. But then whose life is not filled with repetitions.

I thought my life would be so different when I took a break to write for a year. Since my time was now my own, I dreamt of days to write any time I wanted. I had it outlined in my mind. I’d get up anytime of the day and maybe watch a little television, take constant naps, stroll on the beach, or meet my friends for weekly lunches. But that turned out not to be the case. Quite quickly and surprisingly, I ended up with a daily routine. Less than a week, I begin doing the following:

1. Take my shower, wash my face, then brush my teeth
2. Maybe comb my hair
3. Get dressed (same outfit of sweats and a t-shirt), make my bed and make sure my desk was clean
(something I never did when I was working fulltime)
4. Read my bible, the Daily Word and then pray
5. Check my email, scan Facebook and Twitter for 30 minutes
6. Make myself a cup of green tea
7. Write until 4 p.m. then eat my breakfast for 20 to 30 minutes while watching Barefoot Contessa
or Ellen depending on the guests
8. Write until I got tired

Even with writing you often have to be repetitive. For instance, if you are a screenwriter you need to follow the rules of formatting and the same can go when writing a novel—agents and publishers all want the same format: times new roman 12pt, double space, and a specific word-count. You have to be cyclic with rules. But this should never have anything to do with telling your story. And thank God this is where I can break free from the monotony.

Audiences or in this case readers don’t need to understand all the rules and guidelines it takes to make your story. They want it fresh and lively. Take for instance the Food Network Star competition. For the last challenge, each contestant had the opportunity to shoot a pilot. While one of the contestants was shooting his, he was asked to stop and restart. “Why,” he asked? I knew the answer immediately. Repetitiveness. Without realizing he kept repeating the same word. Audiences will notice that immediately and the same will go for your readers.

Being repetitive is not always a bad thing and is often necessary when helping you stay on point in your writing. Just make sure that it doesn’t reflect in your overall story.

A good storyteller takes the repetitiveness of life and makes it exciting. ~Sheilah Brooks

No comments: