Monday, November 1, 2010

Where Do I Turn Now?

Have you ever had explicit directions and still managed to get lost. On the seat next to you are printouts from Mapquest, Google Map, and a globe so huge, it's blocking your side-view mirror. And just to be sure, your car comes equipped with the latest navigational system.

I know I have the tools to make it as a successful writer. I've always been an avid reader so I understand the principals of starting a novel... 'read and study the genre you're interested in writing.

When I was in school and was majoring in Screenwriting, I took creative writing classes, worked on outlines and character descriptions. I wrote short stories and poetry; all in preparation for that day when I would actually sit down and type that last sentence... The End.

When my novel was done, I made sure I was prepared before I mailed out any query letters. First I draft and redraft and wrote and rewrote. Next I edited and edited and then re-edited.

I brought the latest Writer's Market Guide then went online and checked out agency's websites on submission guidelines. I visited writer's groups, gave chapters to friends to read. Recently I even spent hundreds of dollars on a writer's conference.

But for the life of me, I feel more stagnant than ever. I feel like those little whined-up dolls that just go around and around in circles or the ones that you push to go straight and when they hit a wall, their little feet just keep on moving while their bodies go nowhere.

I'm at a point where I want to just toss everything and move to Montana. Why Montana? because when my friends and family try to look for me, I know it will be the last place they would think of. They know I hate the cold.

Today I feel like I am at the end of my rope. On Sunday's I'm already hyperventilating just thinking about another week at a job that is beating the life out of me and where the only thing I can do is think about what I want to write or do about writing. I'm zapped by the end of the day.

And by the end of the week, I don't want to look at a computer or think about anything else until the next Monday.

But damn if I'm going to keep complaining and complaining about not having enough time to do what I need to do.

I got to get out. So I'm coming up with a plan. A plan that will get me to writing at least a couple days a week. A plan that will get me blogging at least once every other week. A plan that will get me to send out a query letter or look up some information on an agency or publishing company. And a plan to redraft my book again so I can move it along to an editor who will help me get to the next avenue.

Simply put... the plan is to move my butt into a position where I am doing something every week to reach that goal.

After all, if I can find the energy to complain about my circumstances, I can find the energy to do what needs to be done.

I can keep traveling down the same rocky road and keep triping over those same stupid rocks or I can move them out of my way. The most important thing to remember is that I can't move those rocks all at once but I can sure move them one day at a time.

If you decide to use my method, remember to lift with your legs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sheilah, I'm a little late to this post and you may have moved on by now and be building up great momentum. DO NOT GIVE UP. It is all just one day, one step, one sentence at a time. (I know you know this, but sometimes you need someone to remind you.) Hugs, Kelly

Joichi Eizo said...

My script which is doing well at film festivals in 2011 was started over 10 years ago. I've written at least 10 drafts; but it seems that every time I would walk my dog for a long walk, I'd have a new draft in my mind.