Saturday, October 16, 2010

Write, Type, Scribble or Text - Just Do It!

I aways hear creative folks say to keep a pad near your bed for ideas. I've tried this technique a few times but when I wake up during the night and have an idea, writing it down is not my first thought. Can I hold it is my first. (I drink a lot of fluids during the day) My next...how long will it take me to go back to sleep.

I don't keep what you might call a typical journal. I've tried that routine a few times and it just doesn't do it for me. I have writing pads and pieces of papers where I've written down my thoughts over the years. I've even taken note of what my writer-friends use to keep ideas in front of them. Some use those huge calendar/blotters on their desk. Others have little post-its all around their computer and walls. Some keep journals and neat pads and for the techie, it's an ipod or ipad with perfect bullet points.

The problem with my note taking is remembering where I've put them after I've written them down. Weeks, months or even a few years later I'll come across something I've written down and then I say for the umpteenth time, I need to get better at keeping my thoughts organized.

Because I have a day job, I can't afford to be loose with my written thoughts and ideas. More importantly, if I want to become a successful writer, I need to build on these ideas.

I'm sure I'm not the only writer that picks up a book, sees a new television series or hears of a new movie coming out and say, "Damn, I had the same idea. If only..." If only is for losers and I ain't no loser. Or am I...

No comments: