Saturday, August 21, 2010

Don't Ignore Your Writing Voice

I'm mentally trying to get back to where I used to be 3-years ago; where I wrote almost daily. Now with another new chapter in my life (do we go through a rewrite every 10-years), it's another stumbling block.

After I was out of work for 4 months, I landed a job with a video game company. The dilemma; it's a permanent one.

Doing temp work for over 10+ years, my body went into shock when I had to come up with yearly goals and go through quarterly reviews. My goal is have a successful career as a story-teller and during the reviews when they ask me where I see myself, that is what I want to say.

But I keep that other little voice quiet and I tell them what I think they want to hear that will keep me on the job another week, month, or God forbid a year until my dream turns into an actuality.

Just 'bout every temp job that I've had wanted me to stay on. I try my best to do a great job no matter what my goals are. But I can't help but daydream about the day I can hear those words from a publisher..."We want to keep you on as a client."

This job is no different and because it's a permanent one, I feel more obligated.

Now over 2-years later, I have an opportunity to head-up a new project which will come with a promotion and more responsibility.

When my boss first proposed me heading this process, I almost hyperventilated in his office. Then, I went home and cried feeling defeated. I was also fearful to tell friends--afraid that they would tell me that it was probably God's will.

But I finally snapped out of it. I realized that if I was not happy about this, if it did not stop me in my tracks and did not make me do a u-turn about about starting a new career, then what was the problem.

Every opportunity that comes your way does not mean the end of your passion; your dreams. It could just be a way to make extra money. It could teach you skills that you may need to use when you finally get to where you want to be.

Don't let it get you twisted into thinking this is the end if this happens to you. Now of course if you get an offer or an opportunity and you're excited about it, then go for it.

However, if it stops your heart or makes you want to toss your cookies, then pay attention. It's your inner voice telling you that this is not your final destiny.

Make sure you don't ignore it!

4 comments:

karmagirl said...

I wholly agree. I've been through so many ups and downs throughout my working life. Each time, I remind myself of what I've learned from that last experience and how I can apply it to future endeavors. You have a great attitude, and I have faith that your persistence will pay off. Keep following that dream.

Unknown said...

I know that you have it in you to keep pursuing your dream. I recently decided to get up earlier and write for an hour each morning. The first few days did not go that well, but it eventually became a routine. That might not work for you, but I wonder if you could sneak away on your lunch break and use that time instead. Good luck!

Sheilah M. Brooks said...

I will do that. I hope you promise to follow yours

Sheilah M. Brooks said...

Hey Kelly,

I'm so happy you've gotten in the habit of writing in the morning. Stick with it.

I work through lunch, so writing at that time wouldn't help. I do have a plan to write at work after hours. One of my co-workers has an office and a cube that is well hidden from visitors and he has offered it to me. I plan to take him up on his offer.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.