Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Importance of Networking

My close friends and family would probably drop and roll with laugher if they were to read this but I am very shy when it comes to meeting new people. But as a writer it is necessary to network especially in a city like Los Angeles.

Even though I am inhibited when it comes to meeting people, I still love networking. There is nothing like being around people who have the same passion as I do—writing and storytelling. Back in 2007, I had the pleasure of being asked to co-write a short film called ‘Spin’ with writer/producer, Camille Tucker (who also starred in the film) and writer/producer, Keta Brown.

The film was well received and showed in numerous film festivals including winning The Global Art Film Festival Hollywood award for outstanding writing. I enjoyed going to the many festivals not only to support our film but because I was able to see other amazing shorts from various writers. This also helped me to be privy to other events such as; award shows, women writer and director symposiums and special screenings.

Going to school for writing also helped. When I attended Cerritos College, my advanced screenwriting instructor, Steven M. Hirohama, not only hosted established writers and directors in the entertainment industry at the school, but he also sponsored fieldtrips to places like the Director’s Guild.

Unfortunately, when I began working fulltime, all that stopped and I lost contact with that unique circle or when I was invited to attend functions, I couldn’t go because of work. But now that I’ve decided to write fulltime, I’m working my way back into that circle.

Yesterday, I attended a screening of Grisly, a Sci-Fi/Horror short film written and produced by Roger Lewis along with his longtime friend and business partner, Clinton Allen. Grisly, an idea that has been forming for the past couple of years, made its debut in the popular *IFS (Independent Film Showcase) at the historic Laemmle theater in Beverly Hills. I was happy to be included in the invite to preview this film, one because of its various story lines (this short has the potential of becoming, in my opinion, the next X-files) two, I will be able to brag that I knew of it at the beginning but lastly, because Clint and Roger know the importance of networking.

Since meeting these two (I worked with Clinton at Activision, a video game company in Santa Monica, CA, and met Roger through Clinton) I’ve met a cornucopia of writers, actors, etc. who are not only well established in the biz but who also understand the importance of networking.

I’m sure people network not only to make contacts in their field of industry but they are also hoping to meet someone who can get them to the next level. But for me it’s so much more than that. As I said numerous times, writing is a lonely art. You’re held up in a room often for hours hoping to get at least one page done before you can move from that chair and if you’re really on a roll you can go for days not answering your phone or checking your email because you don’t want to move for fear of losing that momentum.

But I also have to say that out of the many places or people I’ve had the pleasure to network with, these guys are my favorite. Why? Because they love to give you props on other projects that you might be working on even if it has nothing to do with their own. They don’t have massive egos and they don’t mind sharing information. And because of their unselfishness, I plan to do whatever I can to help plug their project. After all, that’s what I believe networking should be about. Sharing ideas, stories and contacts whenever possible. These two guys have the mindset of ‘if we make it’ come join us for the ride. Isn’t that what networking should be about?

I implore you to share your networks and contacts. Be selfless…

*IFS is an organization founded to promote and support the creation and distribution of quality independent filmmaking.


No comments: